Think and Grow Rich chapter 3 talks about faith and the importance it has in reaching your goals. Chapter 3 is also famous for its well known faith formula to develop faith of your own free will.
Chapter 3 summary
The below summary of Chapter 3 Faith explains why faith is considered the eternal elixir, the role of the subconscious mind and a recipe to develop faith voluntarily.
Most powerful emotion
Faith, love and sex are the most powerful emotions to instantly reach your subconscious mind. It is important insofar as it connects with Infinite Intelligence.
Faith is a state of mind which can be induced at free will, especially after mastering the 13 steps of T&GR. In fact, it can be induced through repetition of instructions by the principle of autosuggestion; which today is the only known method to develop faith voluntarily.
As an example, in many cases behind the success of many men there was the influence of a woman’s love; which is not as strong as faith but quite close.
When mixed with emotion (and best is mixing with faith), thoughts reach the subconscious mind which finally takes on the nature of the influences that dominate it. Subconscious mind then starts working and reflecting those thoughts.
This is the reason why it is so important to encourage positive thoughts and eliminate negative thoughts.
The below principles should be stated in writing, memorized and repeated until they become part of the working equipment of the subconscious faculty. This is a law of nature and it works for the glory and success of the human kind when used constructively (and to its destruction if used incorrectly).
- First. I know that I have the ability to achieve the object of my Definite Purpose in life. Therefore, I DEMAND of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment, and I here and now promise to render such action.
- Second. I realize the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward, physical action, and gradually transform themselves into physical reality. Therefore, I will concentrate my thoughts for thirty minutes daily upon the task of thinking of the person I intend to become, thereby creating in my mind a clear mental picture.
- Third. I know that through the principle of autosuggestion any desire that I persistently hold in my mind will eventually seek expression through some practical means of attaining the object back of it. Therefore, I will devote ten minutes daily to demanding of myself the development of SELF-CONFIDENCE.
- Fourth. I have clearly written down a description of my DEFINITE CHIEF AIM in life, and I will never stop trying, until I have developed sufficient self-confidence for its attainment.
- Fifth. I fully realize that no wealth or position can long endure unless built upon truth and justice. Therefore, I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all whom it affects. I will succeed by attracting to myself the forces I wish to use, and the cooperation of other people. I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, selfishness, and cynicism, by developing love for all humanity, because I know that a negative attitude toward others can never bring me success. I will cause others to believe in me, because I will believe in them, and in myself.
- I will sign my name to this formula, commit it to memory, and repeat it aloud once a day, with full FAITH that it will gradually influence my THOUGHTS and ACTIONS so that I will become a self-reliant, and successful person.
How does Napoleon Hill define faith?
The book contains a definition of faith by Napoleon Hill. So, what is faith?
Faith is the state of Mind which may be induced by Autosuggestion.Think and Grow Rich, Chapter 3, Faith
Faith is when you take something for true even if it is not proved it is true. Many people have different theories on how Napoleon Hill defines faith but the truth is he is using the normal meaning of the word.
Faith : Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.Cambridge Dictionary
However the above quote from Hill doesn’t explicitly mention an important fact. Faith is not created automatically. You have to be willing to believe.
This point is implicit but it is key to understanding the philosophy. You have to open your mind and be willing to believe so your brain easily accept a particular idea as true. If you are not willing and you don’t want to believe, it is very difficult you will be able to develop faith.